Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What determined your vote?

Here is what I try to do when voting... I try to prioritize the most important issues facing the country, and then I try to determine which candidate will most effectively solve those issues.

The single most important issue to me remains, as it has, since I began voting 9 years ago: abortion. The second is the defense of our nation. And the third is taxes.

With those three things in mind, I believe John McCain provided the best chance to solve those issues. I do think Barack Obama is an outstanding leader, but I want someone who will protect the unborn. Barack won't http://www.barackobama.com/2007/07/17/obama_on_judges_supreme_court.php

The defense of America? Barack Obama is oppossed to war, and would, in my opinion, provide a world where a Hitler could prosper. And this is a world that is finally small enough for a one world goverment to take power. http://www.barackobama.com/issues/foreign_policy/index.php#onrussia

What about taxes? This is a deep and divided question. Ultimately, lower taxes and smaller government is my hope. And you can argue the point either way here. McCain likes to say he's a small government man. But I want proof. Obama claims he'll cut taxes on the middle and lower class... While at the same time increasing government beauracracy at home. The national government shouldn't be trying to solve the problems of failed local governments and cities in policing themselves. That should be left to the cities and states.

Ultimately, the abortion issue for me is so great that I would be willing to fight and die to defend the lives of the unborn. And here's some biblical thought on that matter:

“…if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes the life of one of them, that man will be taken away because of his sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for his blood.” Ezek 33:6

I find this ironic because I would also have been less willing (but still willing) to fight in the American Civil War, or the American Revolution. And just in case there's a question about it: for America and the North. Here's why:

During the revolution, it would have been freedom for individual rights. Freedom from oppression is a cause worth dying for. The North because ending slavery in my country would have been worth dying for; and protecting states rights would have taken a back seat to that goal. Amongst the Northerners who died in the Civil War, there are only 2 reasons they would cite: 1) To end slavery; 2) maintain the union. I would not have been willing to die to maintain the union. (It's a different topic, but should a Christian take another's life for the sake of these things is different than sacrificing one's life for something. I certainly do not advocate murder; lest we be like Cain.)

And this is ironic because I would see ending slavery as the great moral issue from the beginning of the revolution to the emancipation proclamation. And abortion as the great moral issue from Roe vs Wade to beyond tomorrow. Barack Obama is the first African American president and he would not be willing to take a stand for those who cannot stand for themselves, and who have no voice.

Here's a controversial question for everyone. If Barack Obama is not willing to protect the LIFE of those who cannot themselves protect it. Would he have been willing to lay down his life to protect something less consequential... the liberty of his fellow man?

At this point in time, it may seem that it doesn't matter. Perhaps Barack Obama will come to know a personal Lord and savior in Jesus Christ the Son of God. Will he humbly submit to God, and then take up his cross and follow righteousness and truth to whatever place that leads? I can only hope, but so did Daniel when
Nebuchadnezzar was king. And I believe some day I shall meet Nebuchadnezzar in Heaven. Perhaps it won't be a Hebrew slave that Barack Obama gets to see God through, but perhaps a slave to righteousness. (note: you may believe that Barack Obama has already placed his faith in Jesus Christ. I highly doubt this, but I do not know Barack Obama personally.)

For the record I have no doubt that Barack Obama is passionate about his views, he is capable of leading, and he is intelligent. I just doubt his wisdom. How I wish Alan Keyes would have defeated him in Illinois. Perhaps today could have been about President-Elect Alan Keyes. He was both intelligent and wise, it's an easy trade to give up charisma for wisdom.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't vote against somebody. You vote for somebody. You don't talk much about McCain here, just Obama.

Pragmatically, at the presidential level, you vote for a *party*. Which is reason enough not to vote for either Obama or McCain.

Also: if somebody claims Jesus as their lord and saviour, it's not our place to judge whether or not it's true. It's between them and God. Regardless of what *I* believe about the person's salvation, the right way to treat them is as a Christian. (Of course that means if that person is living the wrong way or espousing wrong beliefs, we should point it out to them.)

From googling, it appears that McCain and Obama both claim to be Christians.

Josh Rose said...

@zackman
Can't we assume that when he says "Obama won't do this, that's why I voted for the other guy" that he's implying "The other guy will do this"? I did...

I've listened to a lot of people give very heart-felt speeches about why they're voting independent, to prove a point and such. Perhaps that has the potential of somehow one day meaning something, but let's look at Jeremy's situation. He wanted to protect the unborn now. That's his big issue. He's willing to die for it. The vote for McCain, had there been more of them, would have delivered. You could say that about any candidate, but John was the most likely. I didn't read anything that led me to believe there was anything he disagreed with McCain enough on that he should've voted differently. Maybe you did? The whole "I'm willing to die for one issue" is a pretty strong statement.

Even if he hadn't said such a strong statement, I don't think this was the year to vote independent. They simply didn't have enough of a chance, I personally would rather my vote could actually have a chance of doing something (not that it really does anyway...at least I'm in a swing state). Maybe one of these years a better independent candidate will show up, but for now, best to try to get the guy in who's closest.

Your opening logic (at least this year) is incorrect.
Consider:
barack=false
john=true
barack=!john
john=!barack
Voting !barack = Voting john

On the other hand, I might just vote for myself, because I'm the only one that I know of who shares 100% of my beliefs.

Yay me!! Rose for Pres. in 2012. Start sending out flyers!

Josh Rose said...

I intended to answer Jeremy's question, but forgot to before posting.

I also voted against abortion.

In addition to that, I voted against raising taxes. I don't buy the "spread the wealth" mentality, because I know how universally lazy we are. If you take away my incentive to get rich, I might still make cool stuff because that's what I like to do, but I don't know if I'm nice enough to bother spreading the word on it, if that part's not fun as well. Some people won't make cool stuff, because they're too lazy, or opportunistic enough to take the free ride where they can get it.

I voted against the candidate who I felt had the least understanding of what to do about the war. Obama's plan of "we need to get out now" that he was touting (think he might've finally changed his mind) would've been a disaster. It was already done once, and the place turned into a disaster.

The thing that bothered me perhaps the most about Obama was how little his supporters know about him. I've talked to several. They want "change". Change what? "I don't know..." It frightens me to see that someone can be brainwashed that soundly, spouting a motto and having no idea what it means. One person liked Obama better simply because he was younger. Uh...

All of that said, McCain wasn't my ideal candidate. I liked Huckabee better. Chuck Norris would be the ideal candidate for president, but he wasn't running :-( However, McCain got several issues right that Obama didn't, and the opposite couldn't be said. So it was a pretty straightforward decision.

Unknown said...

Great points on all comments. Sanders, I agree with you 100% that if a man says he is a christian; we shouldn't default to being skeptical.

My reasons for stating more on Barack was because he is the President-Elect. It's better to focus on him now. But I would love some dialog from those who *did* vote for him.

Rose, I finally become eligible to be the president in 2016! What about you? I think it's about time programmers started writing law. We could "codify" the law!

There is a chance that Obama could be a good president. If he can balance the budget, avoid wars against us or our allies, and not choose any supreme court justices.

On a side note: I think I'm going to start making posters and stuff that say God Please.... CHANGE OBAMA!